[NTG-context] problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)

Florian Wobbe Florian.Wobbe at awi.de
Fri Mar 25 19:17:41 CET 2011

> Do you have Mac OS X 10.6.7?

Not yet. And for obvious reasons I'm not willing to update right now ;)

> The small attached example is enough to break the printer (both
> PostScript and PCL) when printing from Skim. May I ask you to try to
> print this file with 10.6.7?

No problem here.

BTW:

pdfinfo a.pdf
Title:          a
Creator:        ConTeXt - 2011.03.11 11:45
Producer:       LuaTeX-0.65.0
Page size:      595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)
File size:      5253 bytes
PDF version:    1.6

pdffonts a.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
ZWRPON+TeXGyrePagella-Regular        CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     18  0

That file was generated with MKIVtexgyrepagella-regular.otf using mkiv?

Now if I print that via CUPS-PDF.

pdfinfo cups-a.pdf

Producer:       Apple pstopdf
Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4)
File size:      2891 bytes
PDF version:    1.3

pdffonts cups-a.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
CFOFGB+TeXGyrePagella-Regular        Type 1C           yes yes no       4  0

du -b a.pdf cups-a.pdf
5253	a.pdf
2891	cups-a.pdf

So CUPS does some font conversion here. I would assume that will also happen when printing to a regular network printer. Maybe this step breaks on your system. And that is why sending the file to the printer directly causes no trouble.

Florian

PS: Is there a way to force luatex writing fonts in CFF instead CID format?