[NTG-context] problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 18:18:26 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 17:40, Florian Wobbe wrote:

> Do you have multiple versions of the TeXGyre Pagella installed? Maybe one of them is corrupt.

I don't have it installed. It is in my TeX tree. But if mine is
corrupt, everyone's font is corrupt (or my disk is corrupt).

> You might want to try outline the fonts and strip them from the document:
>
> gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOCACHE -sOutputFile=nofont-Myfile.ps -q -dbatch -dNOPAUSE Myfile.pdf -c quit
>
> Optionally convert back to pdf with ps2pdf and try print that file. If ghostscript complains right away the problem is not your printer.

Ghostscript doesn't complain and the resulting file prints out fine.
(The original one still doesn't.)

>> I'm using one network PostScript printer and one network printer that
>> is most probably using PCL drivers and both generate junk. I'm using
>> "palatino" typescript.
>
> Can you print to CUPS-PDF? Or do you get rubbish as well?

I need to install that first.

>> (Can I send a document to
>> PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
>> Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)
>
> Why not? PostScript printers should handle nofont-Myfile.ps (see above).

My question is more like "how can I do that". I remember using
something like "copy \path\to\printer" on windows long time ago, but
I'm not sure how to do the same on Mac.

Btw: printer specifications says "direct PDF (v 1.4) printing", so I
guess that I should be able to send the PDF straight to printer ... if
I only knew how to do that.

Mojca