[NTG-context] problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)

Florian Wobbe Florian.Wobbe at awi.de
Fri Mar 25 17:40:00 CET 2011

> I'm using ConTeXt MKIV 2011.03.11 11:45 (I will try to upgrade first).
> When I try to print the document from Mac (Skim.app) to two different
> printers, I get pure junk on both of them (bold and italic fonts come
> out semi-ok, but regular doesn't).

I have the same setup here and palatino documents print fine. I do both: send the raw pdf to a cups server (let it deal with it) and convert the pdf to pcl prior to sending it to the printer.

> If I print an older document or if
> I compile the same document with MKII, the document prints out fine on
> the same printer. The document also prints out fine when printing from
> Linux.

Do you have multiple versions of the TeXGyre Pagella installed? Maybe one of them is corrupt.

You might want to try outline the fonts and strip them from the document:

gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOCACHE -sOutputFile=nofont-Myfile.ps -q -dbatch -dNOPAUSE Myfile.pdf -c quit

Optionally convert back to pdf with ps2pdf and try print that file. If ghostscript complains right away the problem is not your printer.

> I'm using one network PostScript printer and one network printer that
> is most probably using PCL drivers and both generate junk. I'm using
> "palatino" typescript.

Can you print to CUPS-PDF? Or do you get rubbish as well?

> (Can I send a document to
> PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
> Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)

Why not? PostScript printers should handle nofont-Myfile.ps (see above).

Florian