[NTG-context] Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions

Nicola nvitacolonna at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:16:28 CET 2011

In article
<AANLkTi=d63VzhDzAy27YOLLyyp-AXrHAUsA4mwx-hYYX at mail.gmail.com>,
 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:

> # pdffonts test.pdf

That's great! I didn't know about pdffonts… Well, I don't know much about fonts in general :)
So, now that's quite complicated (for me). This is what I get:

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
MAYMBF+TeXGyreTermes-Bold            CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     18  0
YYCTGW+TeXGyreTermes-Italic          CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     19  0
MRLZOQ+TeXGyreTermes-Regular         CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     20  0
PJSRME+txsy                          Type 1            yes yes no      29  0
ADYQWN+TeXGyreTermes-Regular         CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     30  0
JHYYBD+TeXGyreTermes-Italic          Type 1            yes yes no      31  0
SDGCFO+rtxmi                         Type 1            yes yes no      32  0
GOISLI+TeXGyreTermes-Regular         CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     33  0
GQGRIV+LMMono10-Regular              CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     37  0
VKFEDD+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      44  0
WTQJQL+Times-Roman                   TrueType          yes yes no      45  0
WWKUXC+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      64  0
GFUUDN+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      79  0
YTRUAX+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      98  0
UBKRGH+TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalic      CID Type 0C       yes yes yes    113  0
EZQBWI+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     120  0
YTUNRR+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     135  0
HMXOTK+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     150  0
FQSXLW+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     171  0
UYMOQM+AppleSymbols                  TrueType          yes yes yes    172  0
KKTZRF+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     193  0
ZTVNCA+Times-Roman                   TrueType          yes yes no     213  0
LWXRQW+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     214  0

I guess Apple Symbols and txsy are there because of mathematical symbols,
but what about Termes and Times-Roman? Also, is that TimesNewRomanPSMT the “official” Times New Roman,
or a “quasi”-Times? I ask because my publisher seems to have strict font requirements,
and has asked me to check that my paper be entirely in Times New Roman…

Nicola