[NTG-context] search path for require(...)

Philipp Gesang pgesang at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Mar 24 11:50:47 CET 2011

On 2011-03-24 <11:34:21>, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:14:00 +0100 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
> >> I'm trying to store the virtual lua chess fonts I'm currently
> >> creating so that latex and context can use them.
> >>
> >> 1. At first I stored the vf-chess-XX.lua in tex/luatex. This works
> >> for latex but not for context. tex/generic works for both.
> >>
> >> 2. My fonts loads a lua-file which should be shared by all fonts
> >> with
> >>
> >> chessfss=require('chessfss')
> >>
> >> latex finds the chessfss.lua without problems in various locations
> >> (e.g. tex/generic) but context not. How can I solve this problem?
> >
> > Hi Ulrike,
> >
> > see also:
> >   http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/047721.html
>
> Ah. chessfss = require('chessfss.lua') works in context. And it
> seems to work with latex too (I had somewhere in the back of my mind
> the thought that the ".lua" extension breaks with latex but can't
> reproduce it currently).
>

> > (You’re going to have to declare the table “chessfss” globally
> > for this to work.)
>
> The chessfss.lua has a "return Table" at the end which declares the
> table chessfss.
>
> To quote from http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaModuleFunctionCritiqued:
>
> "The problems above can be avoided by not using the module function
> but instead defining modules in the following simple way: [*1][*2]

Of course, that’s the Lua way. I can’t guess what you’re up to
but if it’s going to eventually become a module, the “chessfss”
table should not pollute the global namespace. There are
canonical locations (check luat-ini.lua) where the functions and
data should go:

  http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/054982.html

So you might be better off dropping “require” altogether and just
conclude your module with a line like:

  thirddata = thirddata or { }
  thirddata.chessfss = chessfss

instead of returning a table, then loading it with “loadluafile”.

Regards, Philipp