[NTG-context] Which standard installed font displays ' and ` good

Cecil Westerhof cldwesterhof at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:19:07 CET 2011

2011/3/23 mathew <meta at pobox.com>

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:23, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I am still experimenting. With the default ' is reasonably displayed, but
> `
> > not.
> > I liked palatino, but then even ' is not displayed nicely. What is the
> best
> > (standard installed) font where both ' and ` are good displayed?
>
> I think your expectations may be at fault.

You are completely right. That is why a mailing list like this is useful.
;-}

> In ConTeXt, ` is not "open quote", it is backtick. If you want an open
> quote, you have to type one.
>
> Typeset this text to see what I mean:
>
> \starttext
> ` Backtick\crlf
> ' Apostrophe\crlf
> ‘ Open curly quote\crlf
> ’ Close curly quote
> \stoptext
>
> If you actually want backtick, perhaps you could say what you think is
> wrong with it in Palatino?

Wrong is maybe not the correct word, but when compiling this code:
    \starttext
    ` Backtick\crlf
    ' Apostrophe\crlf
    ‘ Open curly quote\crlf
    ’ Close curly quote

    ‘some quoted text’

    “some doublequoted text”

    \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]

    ‘some quoted text’

    “some doublequoted text”

    \stoptext

Then I find the font from palatino better looking, but the default quotes
better as the palatino's.

I have to change all my ‘quotes’ again.

Attached my Xmopdmap.extra which incorperates these single and double
quotes.

--
Cecil Westerhof