[NTG-context] (RSFS) font installation

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Mar 22 17:55:23 CET 2011

Hi,

On 03/22/2011 05:08 PM, mathew wrote:
> {\getnamedglyphdirect{dingbats}{0x272a}}

this won't do anything unless the glyph's *name* in the font is
actually 0x272a, which is unlikely (in my version of the ghostscript
font, the name of ✪ is "a37").

> Or here's the character directly: ✪

This does not work for two reasons: First, you have defined a typeface
dingbats, but have not switched to it. There is no font switch in the
line you used, so you are still in the normal latin modern font.

The second, and more important, reason why this does not work,
is because the ghostscript fonts have odd names for the dingbat
glyphs, and context has no way of knowing that they are actually
supposed to be in unicode encoding. So, you need a way to find
the glyph's name.

A (hopefully) working recipe follows.

First, run this file:

   \usemodule[fnt-10]
   \starttext
   \ShowCompleteFont{name:dingbats}{10pt}{1}
   \stoptext

that should give you five or six pages of output in columns:

Look at the output, then use the <actual glyph> to find the <glyph
name> for ✪ (as I said, for me that is "a37"). Having found the name,
you can get the glyph with this bit of code:

   \getnamedglyphdirect{name:dingbats}{a37} % for me

Best wishes,
Taco