[NTG-context] Feature request: setuppapersize

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Mar 22 16:59:16 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 21-3-2011 5:08, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> Am 21.03.2011 um 00:43 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>>
>>> About two months back I had requested that the second argument be made
>>> optional. Hans had implemented that request, but it does not always work
>>> (I don't know if this is a regression over the original implemenetation,
>>> or it never worked correctly).
>>
>> I doubt if it has ever worked because after i looked at the source for the
>> defintion of \setuppapersize i see that Hans (i mean samesized) code can’t
>> work.
>
> well, it works if one specifies [A5][samesize]

Yes, but [A5][A5] is simpler than [A5][samesize] :)

> but it looks like folks want even more automatism ...

and easier explanation. The trouble with [A5][A5] is that you need to
explain the difference between papersize and printpapersize before you can
explain how to change the papersize. Most users don't care about this
difference, so the additional syntax gets confusing.

> so i changed it a bit in the next beta .. i also made middle the default
> location

Thank you. I will document all this in the next TUGBoat article on
"Context for users".

Aditya