[NTG-context] Producing quotesingle glyph

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 09:05:33 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 01:29, Pontus Lurcock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This may be a stupid question, but I can't work out how to produce the
> ' character (quotesingle, unicode 0x0027) glyph in a document. Just
> typing the character in the source produces a quoteright as expected.
> Here are my other attempts:
>
> \starttext
> \quotesingle
> \getnamedglyphdirect{lm}{quotesingle}
> \uchar{00}{39}
> \stoptext
>
> They all produce quoteright as well. Does anyone have a better
> suggestion? I'm using MkIV, version 2011.02.25 22:03.

In font-ini.mkiv you can find

\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [%mode=node,
   liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes] % texligatures=yes,texquotes=yes

You can find those features defined in font-otc.lua, but in short:
trep is responsible for auto-replacing 0x0027 into 0x2019. If you want
to disable that behaviour, you need to turn trep feature off, for
example with
    \definefontfeature[default][liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes] % trep=no
to be more explicit

Sometimes you need to load the font after redefining the features, but
I'm not sure when that is and maybe I'm wrong (it might be true for
Type1 fonts or I may be wrong completely).

Mojca

PS: just as a thought ... it might make sense to map 0x27 to some
(constant) private range slot and make it accessible with some control
sequence. I don't know to what extent that would be usable though, so
maybe that's just a way too silly idea.