[NTG-context] Fwd: The creation of a new Arabic typeface (funded by Google)

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Fri Mar 18 21:51:54 CET 2011

Am 2011-03-18 um 12:01 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>> Idris et al., perhaps you can teach them to include the proper
>> OpenType magic?
>
>  I really wonder how relevant advanced typography would be in that
> case, where it relates to on-screen display.  It seems to be more
> about
> hinting and similar issues.

I don’t care about Arabic myself, but I thought it would be nice to
have another choice for a free Arabic font to use with ConTeXt. Even
if it’s screen optimized, it might work well in print, too - and some
of use use ConTeXt more often for presentations anyway.

Am 2011-03-18 um 12:15 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> They are, more or less, friends of mine, though I'm not sure I'll be
> around when the reach OpenType development stage, but I don't think
> the
> design they are after will require much of tricky OpenType hacks.

If your kind of expertise isn’t needed, the better - I can only see
that your samples look impressive, but have no clue how excellent
Arabic typography *should* look... ;-)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---