[NTG-context] (RSFS) font installation

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Mar 18 11:04:50 CET 2011

On 18-3-2011 4:27, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>> But it might not be a bad idea for LuaTeX to automatically perform a
>> pfm2afm conversion and cache the converted files when necessary, and
>> probably not that hard to code. On the other hand, Type 1 fonts are
>> legacy at this point, so it might not be worth it.
>
> LuaTeX can load afm files thanks to the embedded, fontforge derived,
> font loader, but AFAIK it does not handle pfm files at all.
>
> Hans considers type1 fonts obsolete (and I agree with him :)) and he is
> unlikely to put much effort into supporting them.

Indeed. I kicked out the last encoding related code a while ago.

Also, I only consider a type 1 font okay when it has both an afm and a
pfb file and mkiv can handle that quite well (even beyond the regular
tex encodings). Personally I need it for fonts that I have bought and
don't want to buy again.