[NTG-context] Difference between MKII, XeTeX and MKIV

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Mar 18 11:02:48 CET 2011

On 18-3-2011 3:54, mathew wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 16:49, Marco wrote:
>> I totally agree. But Cecil mentioned in another thread: »My document is mostly
>> text.« Even if a few mp graphics are involved luatex is still noticeably
>> slower.
>
> I look at it from the perspective that the last time I used TeX, my 8MHz Atari ST took several seconds to process each page. And then it took several seconds per page for the previewer to show me the DVI. And I couldn't do anything else on the machine while it was working.
>
> My way of working now is that I keep a short scratchpad document in TeXworks, and use it to sort out my formatting and macros, taking advantage of the live preview. When I'm done, I copy the definitions into my actual working document, which I edit in vim. I only typeset the entire working document once or twice an hour, if that; vim catches syntax errors. So if LuaTex takes a few seconds longer to do the typesetting, it's completely unimportant.

it's no problem to get a 250 pages per second throughput in mkiv but as
soon as you add more interesting things to a page work needs to be done
and that takes runtime

on the average i get some 10-15 pages per second for documents of normal
complexity on my (by now) 5 year old laptop that i use for development
which is quite ok (mk.pdf: 10 pps, hybrid.pdf: 11 pps, cld-mkiv: 15 pps)