[NTG-context] Difference between MKII, XeTeX and MKIV

Marco netuse at lavabit.com
Mon Mar 14 19:44:27 CET 2011

On 2011-03-14 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/3/14 Marco <netuse at lavabit.com>
>
> > On 2011-03-14 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > When installing minimals you have MKII, XeTeX and MKIV. I understand
> > > that you should normally use MKIV, but when are the other two used?
> >
> > MKII can be used either with pdftex or xetex (as you wish, compare
> > advantages/disadvantages). MKIV can only be used with luatex.
> >
> > You have to differ between ConTeXt »versions« (mkii, mkiv) and TeX
> > backends (pdftex, xetex, luatex).
> >

> And where do I find the advantages/disadvantages?

Wikipedia, google, information source of your slightest distrust.
Short and incomplete:

pdftex:
+ protrusion, font expansion
- fonts are a nightmare

xetex:
+ system fonts are easily accessible
- no protrusion, no font expansion

luatex:
+ protrusion, font expansion, easy access of system fonts, scripting language
  included, fast with mplib
- in general much slower

> Or can I just always use MKIV?

Yes, you can.