[NTG-context] Ideas for restructuring the ConTeXt garden?

Thomas Schmitz tschmit1 at uni-bonn.de
Sun Mar 13 10:00:55 CET 2011

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:35:54 -0800
  Henry House <hajhouse at hajhouse.org> wrote:

> I strongly agree that sample set-up code (ideally
>well-commented so that
> it also serves as a tutorial of sorts) to reproduce the
>style of LaTeX
> would be helpful. The appearance of LaTeX documents
>isn't perfect but it
> produces reasonably high-quality results suitable for
>complex technical
> documents right out of the box of the box without any
>tweaking, whereas
> ConTeXt requires (at least it did for me) some trouble
>to set it up for
> the first time. To some extent this is not because of
>the merit of the
> LaTeX design itself but the fact that it is familiar and
>therefore
> highly readable to someone used to reading it. It is
>also the point of
> departure for a LaTeX user wanting to convert to using
>ConTeXt; hence, i
> would imagine many such people would prefer to tweak a
>LaTeX-like
> document appearance to better suit their needs rather
>than starting with
> something quite different. Certainly, this was the case
>for me; being
> basically satisfied with my LaTeX documents but wanting
>more control and
> the option to use the advanced features of ConTeXt.
>Having sample set-up
> code that emulated LaTeX would have eased the initial
>transition for me.

Pardon my French, but this thread is getting less and less
useful, probably because it addresses too many issues at a
time. It is rapidly degenerating from a "how to
restructure the garden" into a "things I wish others would
do so my life becomes easier." If someone says "I added a
section to the wiki which explains which ConTeXt settings
will give a document equivalent to LaTeX XXX class," fine
- I would consider this superfluous, but it may help some
people. But even strongly agreeing that somebody else
should write a tutorial isn't getting any work done. And
the assumption that most or all ConTeXt users are, at
their heart, LaTeX renegades is not true, I think. Many
advanced users haven't used LaTeX ever or in a long time
and wouldn't want to waste their time on learning it just
for the sake of such a comparison.

Sorry for being so blunt, but I think this will be more
helpful if we stay focussed.

Thomas