[NTG-context] \synctex=1 ignored in mkiv

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Mar 11 19:27:44 CET 2011

On 11-3-2011 7:12, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Thank you. What exactly was the reason to disable the old syntax? Why
> not maybe defining it to give at least a warning (or even error)
> printing out a message saying what to do. It is a bit weird to see the
> code compile fine without ever noticing that something went wrong.

there are a few more primitives disabled (and an overload with message
is no option as there is no way to intercept the parser)

reasons: more consistency, less error prone, better tracing etc

> Is there any chance that a single command would be provided that would
> work both in mkii and mkiv (in mkii it would call \synctex=1 and in
> mkiv it would call \enabledirectives[system,synctex])?

                                              ^ period !

i'm not going to bother about mkii in this respect, in mkiv we move away
from variables in favor of directives, trackers and experiments