[NTG-context] fonts.enc.reencodings works with latex but not with context

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Mar 11 13:38:38 CET 2011

Am Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:22:18 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> I'm now trying to find out how to setup things so that context users
>> could also benefit from the reencoding. But the equivalent code of
>> the code working with latex doesn't work in context

> this feature is indeed not part of context

Dormant code ;-).

Well in case you want to include it, here a comment:

The pros are: reencode is very easy to use. You only need to find
out the numbers of the original chars.

The cons are that is difficult to clean up the font. E.g. it seems
impossible to get a font table which doesn't show also all the
original chars (which are in positions not needed after the
reencoding) with the reencode-method. You can't adjust kerns and not
pull characters from other fonts.

A "virtual lua font" (\font\mine=luatex-fonts-demo-vf-1-invf.lua) is
much more powerful (and more fun) and works fine with context too,
so I think I will use it the most time and document "reencode" for
(LaTeX)-users who wants to install a chess font in a simple way.

--
Ulrike Fischer