[NTG-context] $n\choose k$-issue with OpenType math fonts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 6 12:54:13 CET 2011

On 6-3-2011 1:25, Andreas Harder wrote:

> Am 04.03.2011 um 15:28 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 4-3-2011 2:09, Andreas Harder wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm (re)tying to draw some attention to the $n\choose k$-issue with OpenType math fonts.
>>>
>>> I've made some test files:
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/151837/OpenType-Math.7z
>>>
>>> The best output is generated by LuaLaTeX (at least for Asana and Cambria). Would it be possible to correct the ConTeXt output as well?
>>
>> It depends what correction boils down to. Normally it's the opentype font parameters that control the threshold to the next step in a larger delimiter
>
> This subject is also discussed on the LuaLaTeX mailing list.
> http://tug.org/pipermail/lualatex-dev/2011-March/thread.html#1118

hm, i actually decided to limit the number of mailing lists to follow so
best provide a summary of conclusions instead of a link -)

anyhow, I wonder if we really need to keep supporting this

   x \operator y

kind of syntax (at least that's what crossed my mind when i saw that
this atopwithdelims primitive was used in your example) .. maybe we
should simply define a few extra commands and relax these primitives

aditya: shouldn't we merge the m-newmath code into the core?

I can add some configurability to lfg files so that one can tune fonts
but even then the value are debatable