[NTG-context] special character in filename

Thomas Schmitz tschmit1 at uni-bonn.de
Sat Mar 5 21:46:42 CET 2011

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 20:38:13 +0000
  "Reviczky, Adam" <adam.reviczky at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Thomas
>
> I understand, that it's not a good idea, and I've seen
>similar issues on the list
>(http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/052339.html).
> I ran into this by making a deb package of a software
>(that includes context files) with a version that have a
>"~" in it, and therefore it makes a folder name having
>this character and context fails.
>
> So i guess the answer is then, no.
Hi Adam,

I didn't want to sound rude - in the end, only Hans can
decide if this can/should be changed. It's just when you
think about the complexity of a system like context which
runs on many different platforms, which involves a number
of programming languages, which passes names to and fro in
temporary files and commands - I just would advise to
stick to characters which you can be sure will be parsed
correctly by all parts involved. If you want to know a bit
more about it, have a look at all the efforts Hans makes
to sanitize font names so they will be found in the mkiv
font database; taking out all the spaces and periods and
whatnot. And yet, next week, some smart font designer will
certainly come up with an even more bizarre name which
breaks everything. That's all I wanted to say with my
sarcasm.

Thomas