[NTG-context] Comma spacing in math mode

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 00:21:56 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 00:14, Aditya Mahajan <adityam at umich.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 23:49, Stefan Müller <warrence.stm at gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!

>>> IMO this does only partially help, consider the following example:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> $(B, Y, R, X)$
>>> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=no]
>>> $(B, Y, R, X)$
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> In both lines the spacing after "Y" is way to big. I don't know if that's
>>> bug or just ugly. (version 2011.02.15 16:11)
>>
>> In text parts this is known as kerning. In OpenType math there are
>> complex bounding boxes.
>
> I would call it a bug. The spacing is OK with cambria, but not with xits.

But that is probably a "bug" in font, not in ConTeXt; and something
that cannot really be handled in LM or in MKII at all.

I already sent a similar report to Khaled (when I was testing XITS in
Word), but he was somehow reluctant to change metrics (it has to be
done carefully for the whole font, it needs a lot of time & work;
might become obsolete with next release of stix; and just fixing two
out of thousand such "bugs" doesn't really help).

Mojca (who didn't try out the examples)