[NTG-context] Comma spacing in math mode

Stefan Müller warrence.stm at gmx.de
Sun Feb 27 23:49:09 CET 2011

Hi!

On 27.02.2011 20:58, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, S Barmeier wrote:
>
>> I don't know if anyone feels the same, but I'm not happy with the
>> spacing of commas in math mode (pictures attached). For instance,
>> typesetting H^1(X,F), the comma seems to be closer to the F than to the
>> X. Equal spacing on both sides or setting the comma closer to the X are
>> I guess a matter of taste (inserting a \neghairspace after the X
>> achieves the latter). In any case, I would kind of prefer equal spacing.
>
> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=no]
>
> @Hans: I would suggest that this should be made the default.

IMO this does only partially help, consider the following example:

\starttext
$(B, Y, R, X)$
\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=no]
$(B, Y, R, X)$
\stoptext

In both lines the spacing after "Y" is way to big. I don't know if
that's a bug or just ugly. (version 2011.02.15 16:11)

>> Also, it seems odd that adding a negative space \neghairspace does not
>> change the length of the total formula - I had expected the modified one
>> to be slightly shorter...?
>
> I don't know about this.
>
>> On a related issue, the spacing for lists, e.g. (0,0,...,0), is not
>> satisfactory. LaTeX provides a command \dotsc for dots between commas
>> (and other commands like \dotsm, \dotsi, \dotsb). I don't know if all of
>> these are necessary, but \dotsc and its cousins are not defined in
>> ConTeXt and both using \ldots or just ... give unsatisfactory results.
>> (It is also curious that the spacing after the first comma and the
>> spacing after the last comma in (0,0,...,0) is evidently different...)
>> Personally, I think I favour something approximating (0, 0, ..., 0) and
>> I find \ldots is spaced too widely, ... too closely, and in any case,
>> the spacing of the dots doesn't match with the spacing of the commas.
>>
>> Any second opinions?
>
> Adding the \dots(m|i|b|) etc from amsmath is a good idea. I will look
> into that.

+1. I normally use "$x, \dots\, ,x$" because then the spacing between
the periods looks the same as between the commas and the periods, which
I prefer. I personally appreciate the wider spacing in \dots.

Stefan