[NTG-context] Non-stretching or slow-stretching spaces?

S Barmeier severinbarmeier at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 27 05:02:47 CET 2011

I was wondering if there are any kind of spaces which (partly) fix the
spacing between characters. For example, typesetting "Chapter 1", I
would like to keep the space from stretching at the same rate as the
surrounding spaces (just like ck ligatures in old German texts would be
prevented from stretching, or the space in do n't (sic) in early 20th
century American texts).

I currently use

"\ " to prevent a line break
"~" to prevent extra space after a period
\,
\;
etc. as fractions(?) of the normal space (i.e. they change at the same
rate as the normal space when stretched)

Are there any other types of spaces I should be aware of? I would be
most grateful for any comments, especially concerning the existence of a
slow-stretching (or non-stretching) space...

Thank you,
Severin