[NTG-context] \useattachment: Embedding files in PDFs - was "attachment attaches twice - more research"

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Tue Feb 22 06:25:16 CET 2011

Dear Hans,

I'd like to remind you about an old problem report
------
From: Tobias Burnus
Date: 2008-01-04 16:01 +300

I can use \useattachment to embed/attach files in a PDF file. I can use:

\useattachment[whatever][title][newname][test.tex]
\attachment[whatever]

This creates an attachment with the description "title" and the name
"test.tex". However, how can I set the author/subject? (Shown in tool
tip of the annotation symbol; it is shown above the description;
actually subject is enough for me.)

Additionally, I miss the file size and possibly the modification date
for the attachments; they are often handy to have.

Is is possible to associate an embedded file stream with the document
itself without creating an annotation symbol as with \attachment in
ConTeXt? (The PDF spec allows this; cf. e.g. 3.10.3 in the PDF spec and
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/EmbedFiles.pdf for an example PDF file.)

-------

what he names "author/subject" is the "T" entry in annotation dictionary
(the same where /Subtype /FileAttachment goes), that is described as
"The text label that shall be displayed in the title bar of the
annotation’s pop-up window when open and active. This entry shall identify the user who
added the annotation."
It appears as the upper of the two lines that are shown when the mouse
pointer is over file attachment annotation icon (the lower one is the
description mentioned above).

And for "file size and modification date" to show up file stream has to
look like
8 0 obj<< /Params << /ModDate (20050217) /Size 2048>> /Length 1218>>stream
not just
15 0 obj<< /Length 144>>stream
as it is now.

        Sincerely, Michail