[NTG-context] using · in math mode

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Feb 15 00:07:57 CET 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dear ConTeXt folks,
>

> I am using the Neo keyboard layout [1], which enables me to directly
> enter several UTF-8 characters.
>
> The dot »·« is one of those characters [2] and I like to use it in math
> mode instead of `\cdot`.
>
> But in math mode it is some kind of bold lower dot (see attachment) and
> not ·. In works fine “text mode”.
>
>        \starttext
>        $a · b = a \cdot \text{ (\\cdot) } b = ab$
>
>        in text ·
>        \stoptext
>
> Is the wrong UTF-8 character used or can ConTeXt be adapted to use »·«
> as would like to?

The dot that you have entered is 0x00B7 which is periodcentered. The cdot
maps to 22C5.

Everything works fine if you use a unicode math font (cambria or xits). In
LM, there is a bug in the mappings. For some reason 00B7 is mapped to
squaresmallsolid in tex-ma. I need to check why that definition is there
before determining how to fix it (which is relatively easy).

OT: Is there a timeline for LM OpenType Math?

Aditya