[NTG-context] preventing ligatures in Type1 fonts under MKIV

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 9 23:38:38 CET 2011

On 9-2-2011 8:38, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 09.02.2011 um 20:22 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>>> Load the font with texnansi encoding.
>>
>> How exacly do you mean that; or rather - may I ask for an example? The
>> current typescript is defined in type-one.mkiv:
>
> Sorry, i missed the mkiv in the header and thought you have a mkii problem.
>
>> I could in principle use
>>     \definefontsynonym [LucidaTypewriter] [hlcrt8y] [encoding=texnansi]
>> but that is probably not what you meant, or at least not something
>> that would make much sense in the spirit of MKIV "guidelines".
>
> To prevent ligatures for a font you use the “none” font feature but it doesn’t seem to work here.

Ah, this is an interesting ... we supported afm before we had otf
support and this is the reason why ligatures are enabled by default
(after all, they are in regular tex fonts). There is no reason to do
that now, so I'll change that default behaviour.

(maybe some day I'll provide node mode support for afm as well, but the
code originates from the early days so then I need to rewrite a couple
of things)