[NTG-context] error updating beta WAS: beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 2 23:01:26 CET 2011

On 2-2-2011 10:00, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Looking at these variables doesn't look good, I suspect:
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/Users/hans/Bin'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/Users/hans'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/Users'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMF' set to '/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXOS' set to 'hans'
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
>
> If for example TEXOS has to be the name of an operating system or machine, than it is far beyond the mark.
> And /Userstexmf-local... ?? These are not users in the system!
> How and where are these variables acquired?

texos is only used to guess the texmf-[texos]/bin path

so, indeed, if you don't conform to the minimal structure it is not that
meaningful

anyhow, you have no configuration file in a known place so you can try
to set it yourself (TEXMFCNF=path_to_your_cnffile)

you cannot expect the minimals to work with arbitrary tree setups

normally this problem is just a side effect of putting binaries in a
spot that the SELF* variables cannot relate to

you can have extra bins of course, for instance I have (as i need to
test it):

texmf-mswin
texmf-mswin-new
texmf-mswin-texlive

and set up my console with:

SET PATH=%MYTEXROOT%\texmf-mswin-live\bin;%PATH%
SET PATH=%MYTEXROOT%\texmf-mswin\bin;%PATH%
SET PATH=%MYTEXROOT%\texmf-mswin-new\bin;%PATH%

so, the newest bins are taken first (under texroot are also the regular
minimal paths as wel as texmf-mine that has some dev files) ... so there
are plenty of ways to extend the minimals

also, I have a couple of dev paths added to the regular paths and do
that in a local extra texmfcnf.lua file (multiple files are supported)