[NTG-context] beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Feb 1 09:43:00 CET 2011

On 1-2-2011 6:53, Vnpenguin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 22:28, Hans Hagen<pragma at wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> On 31-1-2011 7:11, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for changing things that way between one and the other. I am
>>> starting to get a bit choleric about all things that constantly seem broken
>>> with the next update. Sorry for the sour note but these are costing me hours
>>> to iron out, time I do not have at the moment.
>>
>> well, no one forces you to update betas
>>
>> also, as long as we're in transition to mkiv you can expect an occasional
>> hickup, after all, i have only a few machines to test
>
> It's better to have someone could give you a hand.
> In the long term, something like "Release Team" would be a must for
> ConTeXt development. With this team, we can do some "Unit testing" for
> each release in order to minimize problem.

to some extend this is what the beta is for ... because mkiv is a moving
target it sort of replaces the current, but if i can imagine that users
wait a few days with updating till there are no problems reported

concerning testing ... there is a slowly growing test suite, and i guess
that at some point Luigi will run it alongside his module documentation
runs .. you can offer him help with that (sanjoy also has made some test
setup)

in this particular case (adaption of mtxrun) testing is somewhat
problematic as we need a test-minimal alongside the regular one and that
might happen when mojca has set up the new machine