[NTG-context] showing and hiding layers

Skip Collins skip.collins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 16:37:11 CET 2011

I am trying to create a layer to contain letterhead graphics. I would
like the letterhead to appear by default when a pdf is opened and
printed. But I would also like to be able to hide the letterhead layer
in Acrobat when printing on pre-printed paper.

My simplistic, always-displayed letterhead looks like:

%%% start code %%%
\definelayer[letterhead]
            [x=0in,y=0in,width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,state=start]
\setlayer[letterhead]
         [hoffset=1in,voffset=0.5in]
         {LetterHeadMark}
\setupbackgrounds[page][background={letterhead}]
\starttext
Hello, World!
\stoptext
%%% stop code %%%

But there is no obvious way to turn this off when printing.
Contextgarden suggests using \defineproperty to create a pdf layer. I
can show and hide this layer in acrobat, but it always opens up
hidden. I am also not sure how to place the letterhead exactly on the
page using this method.

Any suggestions?