[NTG-context] Curly quotes was TTF fonts and MKIV

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Jan 30 17:29:43 CET 2011

On Sunday 30 January 2011 10:52:10 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 30.01.2011 um 16:34 schrieb John Culleton:
> > I have tried various fonts, including charterbt, calibri (ttf)
> > and so on. I get the called-for font but the sequences for curly
> > double quotes, in use since Ramses II, give me either two back
> > ticks followed by two forward ticks, (calibri) or two back ticks
> > followed by an inch symbol (charterbt).  So this defect is not
> > limited to one font. My main file is as follows:
> >
> > \input macros.tex
>
> \environment macros
>
> > \usemodule [simplefonts]
> > \setmainfont [calibri]
> > \starttext
> > \input body.tex
> > \stoptext
> >
> > and macros.tex looks like this:
>
> \startenvironment macros
>
> > \setupoutput[pdftex]
> > \definepapersize[bok][width=7.0in,height=10.0in]
> > %\setuppapersize[bok][letter]
> > \setuppapersize[bok][bok]
> > \setuplayout[location=middle,marking=on]%
> > \setupwhitespace[line]
> > \setuptyping[style=small]
>
> \stopenvironment
>
> > Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Learn to make a minimal *working* example, this works:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[Calibri]
> \starttext
> “quoted text”
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks for your reply. Are you telling me that \input foo no longer
works the way it used to?

Let me simplify the example:
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\definepapersize[bok][width=7.0in,height=10.0in]
\setuppapersize[bok][bok]
\usemodule [simplefonts]
\setmainfont [georgia]
\starttext
Here is ``foo''.
\stoptext
I still get the same wrong results. In a ttf font like georgia the
close quote looks OK but the open quote are two left tick marks.
In Bitstream Charter the close quote is the inch sign and the open
quote is again two left tick marks. So my original question remains:
Why do the double quote codes not work as they have since the days of
plain tex?

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: