[NTG-context] \bufferprefix in MKIV

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Jan 28 21:18:48 CET 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-01-27 um 20:08 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> On a unrelated note, I have been thinking if I can extend the filter module
>> to take care of features provided by lilypond and gnuplot modules. IIUC, in
>> both these modules, the input is transformed before being written to an
>> output file, then an external filter is run and the output is read back
>> again. If we  restrict ourselves to MkIV, then the transforming the input
>> can be done in a lua function; the filter module already takes care of the
>> rest of the book-keeping.
>>
>> Do you think that it makes sense to have such a feature? Then you could
>> just define the gnuplot module as:
>>
>> \usemodule[filter]
>>
>> \defineexternalfilter[GNUPLOT]
>>  [filter={gnuplot --appropriate options},
>>   conitnue=yes,
>>   transformation=thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation,
>>  ]
>>
>> where thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation is a lua function that does all the
>> fancy processing.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I already replaced the LilyPond module by a filter setup, see
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond
>
> It doesn't work completely the same, but good enough.
> And since every user has different needs, the filter approach is more
> flexible and thus better than a bunch of hardcoded setup options.

Making the interface configurable is not too difficult. Here[1] is an
example that replicates the main functionality of the gnuplot module (a
separate inclusions environment and named figures, using the pdf
terminal). I will also look at the functionality of the lilypond module in
detail and see if I can replicate all features.

[1]: https://github.com/adityam/filter/blob/dev/tests/gnuplot.tex

Aditya