[NTG-context] first-setup for windows

Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. LPr at pontex.cz
Fri Jan 28 08:43:38 CET 2011

Dear Mojca,

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:32:34 +0100, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>> So if you thought this would be useful (actually it may depend on whether an
>> explicit 'mtxrun --generate' after update is necessary what I don't know -
>
> It *is* necessary if some new files appear. The problem was that
> usually the wrong mtxrun was called which had zero effect since it
> possibly updated the cache in TeX Live or some other ConTeXt
> distribution (under another path).
>
> You can try the following:
> - make sure that there is no tex in your path (set PATH ...)
> - delete texmf-cache
> - delete some files (for example context.mkiv and a few random other files)
> - call first-setup.bat (the modified version that I sent you without
> an explicit mtxrun --generate)
> - call setuptex (or manually set PATH)
> - try to compile some file
>
> The mtxrun --generate at the end of script doesn't really help since
> already the format generation is broken if some new files arrive.

I updated Ctx yesterday.

I installed the new version of Ctx to an empty directory and I checked all TeX-related PATHs to not point to any TL directory (actually, the PATH doesn't point to any TL or Ctx directory - all this is performed by an appropriate batch which is called in the scope and just before compilation of a Ctx source); so I guess all previous auto-generated files and/or cache got unused.

I wrote a step-by-step report which I intended to send to you as I was "afraid" that I would have to call 'mtxrun --generate' explicitly.

But it was not necessary - I was able to compile a sample Ctx source without any problem "as it was".

Not today.

Now, if I want to compile a Ctx file, I'm getting:

---
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
---

I know that 'mtxrun --generate' will repair this (as it always did so far).

- But I'm wondering about why 'mtxrun' doesn't find the 'context.lua' today although it did yesterday.

(I'm aware of cache directory, in my case at 'c:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-cache\luatex-cache\context\f53042fa2e1c106bc7e3383ec8c3a00c\'. Does Ctx/mxtrun generate also any [temporary] files elsewhere, e.g. in "Document and Settings" or "Application Data" or where TMP/TEMP system variable points?)

Could you explain, please?

Best regards,

Lukas

--