[NTG-context] \bufferprefix in MKIV

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Thu Jan 27 20:08:23 CET 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 26.01.2011 um 17:46 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> Dear Hans,
>>
>> one of the latest versions of MKIV breaks the following code:
>>    \edef\GNUPLOTfile  {\bufferprefix gnuplot-\GNUPLOTnumber}%
>> since \bufferprefix is not defined any more. Is there any reason for
>> that? In particular ...
>
> You should also take a look into Adityas filter module.

On a unrelated note, I have been thinking if I can extend the filter
module to take care of features provided by lilypond and gnuplot modules.
IIUC, in both these modules, the input is transformed before being written
to an output file, then an external filter is run and the output is read
back again. If we  restrict ourselves to MkIV, then the transforming the
input can be done in a lua function; the filter module already takes care
of the rest of the book-keeping.

Do you think that it makes sense to have such a feature? Then you could
just define the gnuplot module as:

\usemodule[filter]

\defineexternalfilter[GNUPLOT]
    [filter={gnuplot --appropriate options},
     conitnue=yes,
     transformation=thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation,
    ]

where thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation is a lua function that does all the
fancy processing.

What do you think?

Aditya