[NTG-context] new beta

Thomas Schmitz tschmit1 at uni-bonn.de
Wed Jan 26 09:41:23 CET 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:26:18 +0100
  Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 26-1-2011 8:50, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> On Tuesday 18 January 2011 20:13:36 Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> On Linux with debian minimals:
>>>
>>> l.42 \loadmarkfile{catc-ini}
>>>
>>> Please type another input file name:
>>> ! Emergency stop.
>>> <to be read again>
>>>                     \relax
>>> l.42 \loadmarkfile{catc-ini}
>>

>> There appears to be a problem (for quite some time, not
>>just for the current
>> beta) of the robustness of \loadmarkfile{}. Indeed,
>>quite often, the conditions
>> under which this occurs is not clear to me, but almost
>>systematically,
>> updating the minimals gives such errors. The update
>>succeeds by entering the
>> full path, such as
>> /usr/local/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/catc-ini.mkiv
>> and repeating the whole path many times, for all
>>instances of unfound markfiles
>> (under X11, right-click is your friend)!
>>
>> It is strange, as the update process finds the other
>>files perfectly well, and
>> is really annoying.
>
> it is probably a side effect of files being renamed,
>i.e. the new name is mkiv while the old one is tex; in
>that case the file database has to be rebuild (using
>mtxrun --generate); it can also happen when there are new
>files added
>
> so, the main question is: why isn't "mtxrun --generate"
>run?
>
> Hans

Yes, I have encountered this problem many times during the
last weeks. Aborting the format-making, rerunning mtxrun
--generate works too, after that, all the files that have
been flagged before are found. So the question is: is
mtxrun --generate maybe run too early in the process,
before all the files are copied into their place?

Thomas