[NTG-context] Translating PDF-files

Cecil Westerhof cldwesterhof at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:35:58 CET 2011

2011/1/19 R. Ermers <r.ermers at hccnet.nl>

> If your acquaintance actually needs an accurate translation into Russian, I
> wonder why he would choose Google Translate for that. Remember that Russian
> has 7 cases, and a complex verbal system with many different forms, all of
> which need to be deduced by Google from the much poorer English prepositions
> and the verbal foms in the text. Even though the result will no doubt show
> cyrillic words, which looks interesting, the factual result will be rubbish,
> and most likely unintelligible to any Russian.

I do not know if he requires Russian, he was talking about Ukrainian. But
that maybe has the same problems.

Automatic translation is always a problem. I even do not like the results
from English to Dutch. But his reasoning is: 'better a badly translated
document, as no document'. I am not sure if I agree 100%, but if that is
what he wants, who am I to -keep- telling him he is wrong?

--
Cecil Westerhof