[NTG-context] How to run Typesetting in MetaPost example (MetaFun)?

Verhaag, G.C.H.M. verhaaggchm at ziggo.nl
Wed Jan 19 14:35:27 CET 2011

Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to try (using ConTeXt minimals MkIV) the example on page 228
> of the MetaFun manual, dealing with typesetting in MetaPost.
>
> The code is given as:
>
> \resetMPdrawing
> \startMPdrawing
> picture pic[] ;
> numeric wid[], len[], pos[], n ;
> wid[0] := len[0] := pos[0] := n := 0 ;
> \stopMPdrawing
>
> \def\whatever#1%
> {\appendtoks#1\to\MPtoks
>  \setbox\MPbox=\hbox{\bfd\the\MPtoks}%
>  \startMPdrawing
>   n := n + 1 ; len[n] := \the\wd\MPbox ;
>  \stopMPdrawing
>  \startMPdrawing[-]
>   pic[n] := textext("\bfd\setstrut\strut#1") ;
>   pic[n] := pic[n] shifted - llcorner pic[n] ;
>  \stopMPdrawing}
>
> \handletokens MetaPost is Fun!\with\whatever
>
> But is won't run. The following message is generated:
>
> \@@toks ->\MPtoks
>
> \dodoappendtoks ->\dodoglobal \@@toks
>                                      \@EAEAEA {\@EA \the \@EA \@@toks
> \the ...
> \whatever #1->\appendtoks #1\to \MPtoks
>                                        \setbox \MPbox =\hbox {\bfd
> \the \MP...
> \dodohandletokenstwo *#1->\dododohandletokens {#1}
>                                                  \dohandletokens
> <argument> M
>            etaPost is Fun!
> \handletokens ...ndletokens {#2}\dohandletokens #1
>                                                  \end
> l.96 \handletokens MetaPost is Fun!\with\whatever
>
> Anybody any idea?
>
> Regards,
> Gerard Verhaag

Hi,

I'm in need of help to get the example as described in the MetaFun
manual running, because I want to use text around a path!

So, I started reading the chapter about 'Typesetting in METAPOST' and
wanted to try the examples as given in that chapter, but without succes!

The problem seem to be the MPtoks macro. According to the text in this
chapter this low level macro (and MPbox and appendtoks) are already
defined, but are they really?

The version of context minimals I use at the moment is:

MTXrun | current version: 2011.01.18 19:34

Any suggestions are very much welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gerard