[NTG-context] searchable PDF with MinionPro under mkiv

Florian Wobbe Florian.Wobbe at awi.de
Mon Jan 17 12:53:46 CET 2011

> How can I generate a searchable PDF with mkiv, using a non standard font
> like MinionPro?
>
> \definefontfeature [default] [default] [mode=node,script=latn,onum=yes]
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[minionpro]
>
> \starttext
> fi ff ffi ffl 1234567890
> \stoptext
>
> Using pdftotext, I get this:
>
> fi ff ffi ffl 

Hi Oliver,

it works for me with the beta 2011.01.12 and 2011.01.14 and poppler-0.14.5/ poppler-0.16.0.

However, it turns out that pdftotext converts to

fi ff ffi ffl 1234567890,

splitting fi ligature while leaving ff, ffi and ffl intact, which is strange.

I did not try with Adobe Reader but the pdf is searchable with Apple Preview and the pasted copy is still intact:

fi ff ffi ffl 1234567890

Florian