[NTG-context] Feature request: setuppapersize

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sun Jan 9 00:45:43 CET 2011

Hans,

Since we have some leverage with backward compatibility in MkIV, can we
make \setuppapersize (slightly) more intuitive.

Normally, one would expect

    \setuppapersize[A5]

to be equivalent to

    \setuppapersize[A5][A5]

but currently it is equivalent to

    \setuppapersize[A5][A4]

This is a bit confusing, and means that we always have to specify the
printpaper size; even if it is equal to paper size. Can we modify the
definition of \dodefinepapersize to change this behavior?

\def\dodefinepapersize[#1][#2][#3]%
   {\ifsecondargument
      \doifsomething{#1} % to be sure
        {\doifassignmentelse{#2}
           {\getparameters
              [\??pp#1] % geen \c!scale, scheelt hash ruimte
              [\c!width=\@@ppwidth,\c!height=\@@ppheight,\c!offset=\@@ppoffset,#2]%
 	     %AM: Added these two lines
              \setvalue{\??pp:1:#1}{#1}%
              \setvalue{\??pp:2:#1}{#1}}%
           {\setvalue{\??pp:1:#1}{#2}%
            \setvalue{\??pp:2:#1}{#3}}}% (*) see below
    \else
      \getparameters[\??pp][#1]%
      \setuppapersize % hm. this will freeze !
    \fi}

Perhaps, in line (*), we should also check if #3 is something, otherwise
set ??p:2:#1 to #2:

\doifsomethingelse{#3}
   {\setvalue\??pp:2:#1}{#3}}
   {\setvalue\??pp:2:#1}{#2}}