[NTG-context] [OT] Public Fonts for Minority Languages of Russia

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Sat Jan 8 14:54:46 CET 2011

2011/1/8 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 07:25:42AM +0100, Martin Schröder wrote:
>> qpdf is MUCH better...
>
> I take your word on this, but out of curiosity, better in what sense?

pdfopt is ghostscript, that is the pdf is fed into a PostScript RIP,
which spits out linearized pdf.

qpdf uses a pdf library and reorganizes the pdf so it is linearized.
So it "knows" more about pdf than gs, is much lighter (one binary and
one lib with together <1MB compared to ghostscript), much less can go
wrong (e.g. images are not changed) and IMHO the support for qpdf is
much better. :-)

Best
   Martin