[NTG-context] kerning info (mkiv)

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jan 7 15:13:11 CET 2011

On 01/07/2011 02:48 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
> The character stands in the first column, followed by width, height and
> depth (in pixel). The "*kerning" line shows the kerning value (in sp) of
> the neighbouring character pair. No problem here.
>
> But "A much longer Test graphic VATo"
>
> sees no kerning for "VATo" (although the text is printed with the
> correct kerning).
>
> What am I missing? Example code is attached.

Your code only reports a kern if it happens between the first
occurrence of a certain glyph and is predecessor. After that
first attempt, the

   if not char[u] then ...

condition evaluates to false, so no further reporting is done.

In other words, your longer example fails to report anything for
the "VA", "AT", and "To" combinations because all the second
glyphs in the pairs have already been seen before in a non-kerned
combination ("A", "lo", " T").

You have to rethink the loop logic.

Best wishes,
Taco