[NTG-context] kerning info (mkiv)

Peter Rolf indiego at gmx.net
Fri Jan 7 14:48:32 CET 2011

Hi,

for a text background graphic I need the character box sizes of a given
string. I managed to collect the needed info (width, height, depth,
kerns), but there is still some flaw in the kerning part.

For example:

"VATo" is printed out (in the shell) as

V	12	11	0
*kerning	-85721.088
A	10	11	0
*kerning	-64487.424
T	10	11	0
*kerning	-64487.424
o	7	7	0

The character stands in the first column, followed by width, height and
depth (in pixel). The "*kerning" line shows the kerning value (in sp) of
the neighbouring character pair. No problem here.

But "A much longer Test graphic VATo"

A	12	11	0
 	5	0	0
m	13	7	0
*kerning	-21233.664
u	8	7	0
c	7	7	0
*kerning	-21233.664
h	8	11	0
 	5	0	0
l	4	11	0
o	7	7	0
n	9	7	0
g	8	7	3
e	7	7	0
r	6	7	0
 	5	0	0
T	11	11	0
e	7	7	0
s	6	7	0
t	6	10	0
 	5	0	0
g	8	7	3
r	6	7	0
a	8	7	0
p	9	7	3
h	8	11	0
i	4	10	0
c	7	7	0
 	5	0	0
V	12	11	0
A	12	11	0
T	11	11	0
o	7	7	0

sees no kerning for "VATo" (although the text is printed with the
correct kerning).

What am I missing? Example code is attached.

Peter