[NTG-context] Fwd: setuptex.csh usage

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jan 2 16:09:01 CET 2011

On 31-12-2010 1:48, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Hello,
>
> setuptex (sh, bash, ...) has most definitions commented out
> and to work with the minimals seems to need only to set the PATH.

Indeed. the commented code has to do with the fact that in the past
(unix) distributions tended to set variables when installing e.g. tetex
and as environment variables overload those in a cnf file they needed to
be nilled beforehand. That problem has gone away with texlive.

> setuptex.csh is less maintained, it appears.
> I no longer use (t)csh and I see that Mojca and Arthur propose
> to remove this script.  I have no objection,
> but it does appears from this thread that it is indeed still used.

there is no harm in keeping it around I guess