[NTG-context] framed float with offset

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at olin.edu
Sat Jan 1 16:53:49 CET 2011

Is there a way to have figures placed on a slightly larger colored
background and then have paragraph text flow around the enlarged area?

I tried the following (using ver 2009.11.26 16:28 MKII):

\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\placefigure[right,none]{}%
{\externalfigure[sample/cow.pdf]%
                [scale=500,
                 frame=on, frameoffset=20pt,
                 framecolor=black,
                 background=color, backgroundcolor=lightgray,
                 backgroundoffset=20pt]}

\input knuth
\stoptext

But the frame and background bleed into the text.

I tried wrapping the externalfigure in a \framed, and also wrapping that
in an \vbox or an \hbox (desperate measures, I admit).  But somehow the
\placefigure always knew exactly the size of the cow itself and used
only that information, rather than the size of the enlarged background.

Any suggestions appreciated.  (I'd wikify in the framed section.)

-Sanjoy