[NTG-context] beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Nov 12 18:44:22 CET 2010

Hi,

I uploaded a new beta (so the minimals will have it in about an hour):

- some cleanup at the lua end as side effect of documenting lua
interfacing as part of writing the cld manual

- a couple of bug fixed in the lua code that crept in during some
optimizations

- removal of some old lua code (not needed any more or replaced by
better code)

- a couple of patches (or extensions) to macros (due to reports on the
list); for instance, the HideLayer and VideLayer reference actions were
never implemented; also, some animation code has been added (for WS)

- definitions like \definedfont[file:lbr.pfb] are ok now (remapped onto
afm, a few line harmless extension)

- a replacement of the existing marking mechanism (as used for running
headers and footers): less interference with typesetting as mark nodes
are no longer part of the game; more robust synchronization of chained
marks (sectioning); more robust handling of marking in columns and
columnsets; experimental marking in arbitrary constructs (thomas might
like that one); not all is tested but we have:

the usual marking: first, last, previous, current; these are strict in
the sense that they take sectioning into account

some new, less strict marking: firstpage, lastpage, previouspage; these
ignore sectioning related resets

some experimental methods: next, nextpage; these concern parts of
paragraphs that end up on the next page, so limited lookahead (in there
is interest we can make that full lookahead i.e. future marks)

the usual column related marking:

     \getmarking[chapter][first]/
     \getmarking[chapter][page][first]/
     \getmarking[chapter][column:first][first]/
     \getmarking[chapter][column:1][first]/
     \getmarking[chapter][1][first]

even more expermental:

   \definemarking[boxmark]

   \setbox0\ruledvbox{
     \marking[boxmark]{tufte} \input tufte \par
     \marking[boxmark]{ward}  \input ward  \par
   }

   \synchronizemarking[zerobox][0] \box0

   \getmarking[boxmark][zerobox][first]
   \getmarking[boxmark][zerobox][last]

anyhow, it might be that something is broken, but at least this
implementation has more potential

- the properties mechanism is obsolete and replaced by three mechanism
that used them (originally properties dealt with specific engine/backend
functionality); the most important ones are

\defineviewerlayer[name][options]
\startviewerlayer[name]....\stopviewerlayer
\viewerlayer[name]{...}

and

\defineeffect[name][options]
\starteffect[name]....\stopviewerlayer
\effect[name]{...}

where we have predefined (as with former properties):

\defineeffect [inner]   [alternative=inner,rulethickness=.25pt]
\defineeffect [outer]   [alternative=outer,rulethickness=.25pt]
\defineeffect [both]    [alternative=both, rulethickness=.25pt]
\defineeffect [normal]  [alternative=normal]
\defineeffect [hidden]  [alternative=hidden]
\defineeffect [stretch] [alternative=stretch,stretch=1]

the properties commands are still there but map onto these so older code
should work ok (but somewhat less efficient)