[NTG-context] XSL-FO to PDF?

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Wed Nov 10 12:32:09 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 10-11-2010 12:22, Peter Davis wrote:
>
>> Is there some recent information on using XML, and specifically XSL-FO,
>> with
>> ConTeXt?  The pages on the contextgarden wiki appear to be 5 years old or
>> more, and even the archive of this list seem pretty sparse on recent
>> information.
>>
>> I'm trying to find the most direct route from XSL-FO to PS or PDF. I'll be
>> generating hundreds or thousands of XSL-FO documents, and would like to
>> process them.
>>

> there was never much interest in FO and usually such code only gets better
> when it's used; I have it on my todo list to rewrite the mkii specific FO
> processing code in mkiv as it can be done more efficient etc etc but there
> is not that much incentive ... in projects that I'm involved in we normally
> go directly from xml to pdf simply because it's faster, gives better results
> and takes less coding than going the fo-route; and as FO is not that much
> fun, I'd either need a project or see it as a challenge (btw, it's not that
> big a deal to rewrite the mkii code to mkiv)
>
> Hans

Thanks, Hans.  I can certainly understand that FO has not gotten much
attention.  In our case, though, this is the XML format we're starting with.
 It's not a matter of converting other xml to FO.  I'd be happy to look at
the mkii code, but considering that I'm brand spanking new to ConTeXt, I
don't expect to make any great strides there for a while.

Is it possible to put a setup inside an xmlsetup?  For example, if the xml
specifies a page size, can I put a setup for that inside the xmlsetup that
handles that element?

Thank you,
-pd