[NTG-context] manipulate ttf-fonts loaded with luatex

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Oct 27 23:32:21 CEST 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:35:46 -0400 (EDT) schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm currently a bit playing around with the idea to add some support
>>> in the (LaTeX) package "chessfss" (which handle chess fonts) for
>>> fonts loaded with the luaotfload package. As luaotfload use the
>>> context code to load the font I'm hoping that someone here can help
>>> me with some of my problems.
>>>
>>> Chess fonts are highly unstandard. The different authors of the
>>> fonts did put the chars quite randomly in the character table and
>>> also used various glyphs name. So in the psfonts.map almost every
>>> font has its own encoding vector:
>>
>> What is the unicode support for chess fonts. Are there unicode glyphs for
>> each symbol (just like card suits, I guess)?
>
> There are unicode code points only for a part of the symbols.

I checked the unicode list. The codepoints 0x2654 to 0x365F cover all the
chess pieces. All the fonts in enpassent.dk and chessfss_gallery.pdf show
only these symbols. So what is missing? I am guessing that the problem is
not as simple as just mapping a font glyph to the corresponding unicode
codepoint.

Aditya