[NTG-context] calling ConTeXt as a background process

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Fri Oct 8 09:36:56 CEST 2010

Am 2010-10-07 um 18:32 schrieb Florian Wobbe:
> Well, remote sensing with computers is cumbersome and as I haven't
> got a clue what happens on your machine I'd rather see your the
> shell script.

Don't keep fixed on that shell script - it was only one of many failed
attempts. "context" itself is only a shell script that calls mtxrun.
It doesn't matter how I call ConTeXt from the server process - it
hangs at texlua.

> How is this script intended to be called: as a subshell from the
> prompt, as a cron job in the background, ...?

At the end I want to run it via Celery/RabbitMQ (an AMQP message
queue), but since that's another complication, I tried first to run it
directly from my Django view (in other framework's talk that's the
controller).

> I've got Ubunto and OSX here and could try to reproduce the error
> for you, if you post your script.

Thank you, but the problem is most probably something in my server
setup that doesn't fit something in LuaTeX.
As I mentioned: I got no problems calling TeX directly, just from the
server process.

> A shell script with just these 4 lines
>
> #!/bin/bash
> cd $HOME/context/tests
> export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/applic/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin
> context --batchmode test.tex
>
> works as expected on Ubunto 2.6.32-24-server x86_64 with an almost
> empty environment (none of the TEX* variables set). You just have to
> set the path to context - nothing else is necessary.

> As for the environment variables set: you can test for that in the
> script via 'env' and redirect the output to a file.

Guess what I tested before complaining. I redirect the whole process
output to a log file, unfortunately I catch no message from TeX
whatsoever, e.g. with
"set && date && context hello" I get the env settings and the date,
but no message from context.

I'll write a summary.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban