[NTG-context] calling ConTeXt as a background process

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Thu Oct 7 17:55:31 CEST 2010

Am 2010-10-07 um 12:54 schrieb Florian Wobbe:

>>> Your shell quotes were off. It is looking for
>>>
>>> "./prd_paket --batchmode --once.tex"
>>
>> Ok, but it doesn't work with any other call of luatex - I also
>> tried to start another shell script that calls luatex, but it hangs
>> in the same manner. If I kill the luatex process, further commands
>> work.
>
> could you send me the calling shell script along with all necessary
> files to run the context batch? or supply a minimal example instead
> of prd_paket.tex.

Hi Florian,

it doesn't depend on the tex file, it's the same with

\starttext
Hello World!
\stoptext

It also doesn't depend on context options (--batchmode etc.)

And it doesn't seem to depend on the way of calling it from Python/
Django:
- directly with subprocess.Popen (several options), subprocess.call,
subprocess.check_call
- indirectly via shell script (that contains just the context call)
- with context or mtxrun (didn't try texlua directly yet)
- with setuptex or setting TEXROOT and TEXMFOS directly (in the
environment for the subprocess call)

I can imagine that it has something to do with SElinux settings,
didn't dive in that yet.

I can call context manually as the same user that's running the server
process with all the options.

It also works on my test system (osx-intel) with Django's dev server,
just not on my Ubuntu server (linux-64).

Despairing greetlings,
Hraban