[NTG-context] Justifying last line of paragraph

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Sep 27 09:18:45 CEST 2010

On 09/26/2010 06:01 PM, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater<taco at elvenkind.com>  wrote:
>> On 09/25/2010 08:03 PM, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
>>>

>>> The first couple of lines of the paragraph beginning on page two should
>>> really go on the previous page. Since the hang mechanism of \placefigure
>>> doesn't work due to the page break, I'd like to split this paragraph
>>> into two logical entities, so TeX can put the first on the first page
>>> and treat the second as a separate paragraph flowing around the picture.
>>> However, the reader should not be aware of this split.
>>>
>>> Any help much appreciated,
>>
>> I don't know of any automatic solution to this problem (except _perhaps_
>> columnsets could help) but the simplest way to split a paragraph into
>> two paragraphs while still looking like one is by inserting a macro
>> like this at an existing break point:
>
> Thanks Taco, this appears to be exactly what I was looking for. One more
> thing though: is there a simple way to arrange for all arguments
> provided to \splitpar to be passed on to \placefigure in a definition
> like this:

Something like this should work:

    \def\splitpar#1%
      {\bgroup
       \gdef\splitparcommands{\placefigure#1\parskip...}%
       \aftergroup \splitparcommands
       \egroup}

The definition is all about \aftergroup: each \aftergroup adds exactly
one *token* to the list of things to run after the group ends. Passing
arguments that way is tedious and very error prone (you would need
something like \adtergroup [ \aftergroup l \aftergroup e \aftergroup f
... ), so defining a global macro and passing that is better.

I did not do this in the earlier version because if you can get around
using \gdef, it is usually wise to do so. Sorry, I have no idea whether
it is possible to do this stuff with a nicer, more ConTeXt interface.

Best wishes,
Taco