[NTG-context] Justifying last line of paragraph

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Sep 26 09:55:09 CEST 2010

On 09/25/2010 08:03 PM, Elias Oltmanns wrote:

> The first couple of lines of the paragraph beginning on page two should
> really go on the previous page. Since the hang mechanism of \placefigure
> doesn't work due to the page break, I'd like to split this paragraph
> into two logical entities, so TeX can put the first on the first page
> and treat the second as a separate paragraph flowing around the picture.
> However, the reader should not be aware of this split.
>
> Any help much appreciated,

I don't know of any automatic solution to this problem (except _perhaps_
columnsets could help) but the simplest way to split a paragraph into
two paragraphs while still looking like one is by inserting a macro
like this at an existing break point:

\def\splitpar
  {\bgroup
   \parfillskip\zeropoint
   \par
   \aftergroup \parskip
   \aftergroup \zeropoint
   \aftergroup \noindentation
   \egroup }

\splitpar will work anywhere in a paragraph, but you only get a
visually pleasing result when it is applied at, or close to, a break
that would have been chosen anyway.

Best wishes,
Taco