[NTG-context] Lettrines in MkIV

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Thu Sep 23 19:38:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> On Thursday 23 September 2010 18:46:00 you wrote:
>>
>> Sorry... \placeinitial gobbles \input.... but here is a standalone
>> example:
>>
>> \setupinitial
>>    [   state=start,
>>            n=3,
>>     distance=-.1pc,
>>    ]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \placeinitial This is what Knuth said: \input knuth
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

> I didn't know about initial...
>
> %D \macros
> %D   {setupinitial,placeinitial,checkinitial}
> %D
> %D {\em To be documented.}
>
> Indeed!

So you do not consider the source itself as the documentation :)

> Nice, I would like to use something like this,
> even setting it up to be automatic at the beginning
> of chapters, for example.

The example that I showed earlier did that. Essentially, just use

\setuphead[chapter][after=\placeinitial]

> But it does not quite work as lettrines.

Indeed. Otherwise, there would no need for a separate module. Actually, it
will be nice if the functionality of lettrine can be merged with
\placeintial.

> In a silly language such as French, the following fails:
>
> \placeinitial L'objet de cette commande\dots
>
> as one needs:
>
> \lettrine{L'}{objet} de cette commande\dots
>
> Other heuristics might apply in different cases.

And there are sentences starting with quotations, etc.

Aditya