[NTG-context] Lettrines in MkIV

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Thu Sep 23 19:09:30 CEST 2010

On Thursday 23 September 2010 18:46:00 you wrote:

> Sorry... \placeinitial gobbles \input.... but here is a standalone
> example:
>
> \setupinitial
>    [   state=start,
>            n=3,
>     distance=-.1pc,
>    ]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placeinitial This is what Knuth said: \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

I didn't know about initial...

%D \macros
%D   {setupinitial,placeinitial,checkinitial}
%D
%D {\em To be documented.}

Indeed!

Nice, I would like to use something like this,
even setting it up to be automatic at the beginning
of chapters, for example.

But it does not quite work as lettrines.
In a silly language such as French, the following fails:

\placeinitial L'objet de cette commande\dots

as one needs:

\lettrine{L'}{objet} de cette commande\dots

Other heuristics might apply in different cases.

Alan